Friday, July 29, 2011

Sunstart Quality Bakers Caramel & Chocolate Dessert Delights / Rocky Road Bars



These tasty looking guys were recently on sale at my friendly neighborhood Shop Rite. I had never seen them before and broke my "gluten-free rule" - which is I don't buy new GF stuff without some sort of coupon. I took a gamble and the cookies looked all delicious. I mean who doesn't like caramel and anything Rocky Road flavored? Plus they boasted that they were from Europe and hey Schar is European and they kick so much GF ass!

You know how sometimes in movies they show a gambling scene and the protagonist (who really needs things to go right for them) pushes all of their chips onto black. The scene gets all slo-mo'd as we all wait with baited breath for the tiny roulette marble to drop. All of a sudden it looks like its going to go on black! We all suck in air in anticipation and then BAM its on red.

That's what this was like.

I normally do not review two products in one column but I had the same complaints with both and figured instead of you reading the same review twice I'd just put it all here.

The cookies start out super promising. They look just delicious and smell all chocolately. When you first bite in that top layer is super great but then you hit the cookie bottom and it just ruins everything. It almost seems like the baker was in the middle of making cookies and was like "oh crap I seem to be out of sugar, vanilla and butter - oh well I'll just improvise." And then he improvised with nothing and just made a really horrible cookie and was satisfied with it.

Verdict? Don't be fooled by the attractive display on the box - the cookie is all sorts of fail and Sunstart needs to invest in butter & sugar & vanilla and fire their baker.

1 comment:

  1. Sunstart Caramel and Chocolate Dessert Delights
    I just paid $6.00 (!!!) for a package of these Sunstart Caramel and Chocolate Dessert Delights (warning: only 5 bars for $6!!) from Whole Foods NYC. These are AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I never write reviews or comments of anything -ever.
    I'm only motivated to do this because these cookies were ridiculously expensive and so completely awful. Like bland "old lady" cookies.

    ReplyDelete