Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Conte's Gluten Free Cheese Ravioli


There was this little Italian restaurant near where I went to college. The food was amazing, plentiful and inexpensive - the perfect combination for poor college students. Once a month myself and my friends would hit up one of the local eateries and eat until our hearts were content. Once a month was all we could really afford and it always seemed to tide us over for another month of eating crappy cafeteria fare. 

This Italian restaurant had this great dish - I called it Cheesy Meaty Raviolis. I'm sure it had a real name that wasn't ridiculous but we don't have time for that right now. It was my favorite dish there. It was cheesy raviolis in this yummy cheesy meat sauce. I would only eat my favorite meal a few times a year but it was something I always looked forward to. 

As I got older and stopped visiting my favorite little Italian restaurant those Cheesy Meaty Ravioli's left my food memories. I swear it felt like the moment I was diagnosed with celiac all of my gluten filled food memories came flooding back into my brain like some sort of weird sci-fi deal. Those raviolis were shoved into the front of my food desires and there was nothing I could do about it. Which is infuriating. There is nothing worse then having a complete inability to satisfy a food craving due to an auto-immune condition. 

This was the first Conte's Gluten Free product that I ever tried. I was having a hardcore ravioli craving and it needed to be satisfied. I brought these guys home and attempted to recreate my Cheesy Meaty Raviolis. 

I was shocked at how decent these actually were. I was expecting a super gummy and weird tasting ravioli. While I had good GF pasta I just wasn't sure if GF ravioli could be equally as good. The pasta was dense in a good way and the cheese filling was really tasty. 

Verdict? Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment