Monday, October 17, 2011

Gluten Free Apple Cider Doughnuts

The bite is supposed to show you how delicious these are but I think it really highlights my lack of self control.


I don't know about you but to me autumn is all about the smells and tastes that typically personify this glorious season. I love smelling fires, hearing crunchy leaves and smelling fresh fried apple cider doughnuts at every single farmers market/farm/outdoor event. It's enough to drive a celiac mad. For crying out loud we are only a few weeks into fall and these doughnuts are everywhere taunting me. 

Doughnut: "ooooh look at how delicious I am.....don't you want to take a bite?"

Me: "Look doughnut, we both know you are delicious and some Amish lady made you fresh but I can't eat you....even if you are warm and covered in cinnamon sugar that appears to be turning into a glaze due to the freshness and heat."

Then I normally run away, cry and die a little on the inside. 

Not this season I thought. This Fall I will figure it out and make some damn doughnuts myself. 

After a particularly festive Fall day apple & pumpkin picking all the while smelling fresh fried apple cider doughnuts in the air. (They must pump it throughout the farm because there is no reason for that smell to waft a mile away.) I left the farm determined to make some delicious gluten free apple cider doughnuts. 

Luckily I had my 5 pound bag of Jules Gluten Free Flour waiting for me at home. I searched and found this easy recipe from The Food Philosopher. 

I was super intimidated. I had never made doughnuts before and figured that this would be time consuming and probably super complicated. I cleared out my day and pulled out my recipe. 

5 minutes later my dough was ready and I was twiddling my thumbs waiting for the oil to get hot enough. 

This was seriously the easiest thing I have ever made in my entire life. Making cookies from scratch is like 50 times more complicated then this doughnut recipe. The best part? You don't have to roll out the dough. This is something I always dread with gluten free dough since it always seems to be problematic. This recipe just has you push out the dough until its 1/2 inch thick. 

My first couple of doughnuts were too thin so I re-rolled the dough and pushed it again and ended up with much thicker doughnuts. I used a biscuit cutter and a water bottle cap to cut out the center. The doughnuts take about a minute on each side and you just take them out of the oil for a moment then dredge them in cinnamon sugar and then shove them in your face. 

This recipe made delicious doughnuts. I couldn't believe how fluffy and cake-y they turned out. I'm not sure if they would have been as awesome with another flour. I find Jules' GF flour to really be the best. It is more expensive but in return you get the most kick ass end product. 

Verdict? Yummy! Don't be scared to try to make them- its so easy and you will be SO happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment