Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Dad's Cookies Raspberry Linzer Cookies


Linzer cookies are my ultimate, all time favorite type of cookies. My grandmother used to make them every single Christmas and they were divine. She would do raspberry, strawberry and apricot filling in the Linzer cookies. I would steal as many as I could before the grown ups got into the cookies. Lucky for me my grandmother was good about spoiling her grandchildren so no one ever told me no :)

Since I was diagnosed with celiac I have not had a single linzer cookie. It's been nearly 7 years since one of those lovely cookies has crossed my lips. 

So you can imagine my joy and surprise when I came across these cookies at my local health store. (sidenote: Seriously, if you live in Southern New Jersey you absolutely have to go to Natural Health in Blackwood - its like Gluten Free mecca.) I had vaguely remembered a friend of mine in NYC telling me about this bakery and I figured if she was happy with the cookies they were absolutely worth a shot. 

As soon as I got home I ripped open the box and tried one. They were good but I felt let down and here's why. I think I've covered this before - a lot of the issues with gluten free foods is that we all have a taste memory of something that we ate before we were diagnosed with celiac/gluten intolerance/wheat intolerance. I believe this makes us more apt to immediately dismiss a gluten free product as "bad" since it doesn't taste anywhere near as good as what we remembered. That was my issue with this cookie. 

I had warm and gorgeous memories of this buttery, jam-filled cookies from my youth. I had to shake myself from that warm memory and review the cookie based on what it is not on what I want it to be. The cookie was good, it was firm and had a good crunch. I do wish that the cookie was more buttery but the filling was delicious. All in the cookie was pretty good. 

Verdict? Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment