Thursday, January 12, 2012

Avoid Five Guys in Deptford, NJ

I have previously suggested Five Guys as a place safe for celiacs.  After my experience this past Sunday I have to retract that statement.

I have never in my life experienced such rude and surly behavior from someone, let only someone who is a store manager.

I have been told repeatedly that I can bring in a gluten free roll to Five Guys and that they would happily build my burger on it - except for condiments which they would put on the side. When I was first told this I was very happy because anyone who has taken home a Five Guys burger sans bun knows what happens - the burger ends up tasting like aluminum foil by the time you get it home. Not exactly appetizing. I have had many easy transactions with Five Guys with the gluten free bun until this past Sunday.

I went to store 316 which is in Deptford, NJ. I placed my order and pulled my gluten free roll out of my purse in its ziploc bag and handed it to the cashier. I said and would you please place my burger on my gluten free roll. He looked completely confused turned around and looked at a large man and he said "NO." I looked at him, totally confused and said but its gluten free...the only thing you are allowed to accept over the counter is gluten free rolls. Again he says no and asks where I heard this from. I told him at this location from the manager, he says impossible I am the manager. I said well clearly not for all that long and you obviously don't know you're own company policy. He said that company policy was that every single burger had to be put on a Five Guys bun - that was company policy.

I blinked a few times and felt my face getting red. I asked if there was an owner I could speak to, nope. Well then how do I get in touch with corporate? They provided me with corporates number. I asked if this meant that they were not allowed to make my burger without a bun - yup thats what it meant. However, they would make an exception for me. I asked if they would keep the foil open so I could the bun on myself and they agreed. When my food was ready my burger was literally flung at me. I put the bun on and closed the foil. The rest of my food was laid at for me and I had to pack it up. I'm sure if the kitchen wasn't open the manager would've spit in my food.

I am completely appalled at the way I was treated. While it may not be the same at every Five Guys I have to advise anyone near Deptford, NJ who is celiac, gluten intolerant, etc to avoid this Five Guys location.

That all being said, I would be delighted to teach the staff how to handle meal requests from those with gluten allergies. Clearly the staff at store 316 needs some education. Five Guys you can reach me at glutenfreeyummy@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment