Monday, July 11, 2011

Erewhon Rice Twice Cereal

Erewhon Rice Twice Whole Grain Cereal, Gluten Free, 10-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)

We all have fond memories of pouring milk over a large bowl of Rice Krispies and hearing the famous "snap, crackle and pop." What kid didn't love that? Sure, I loved the sound but I hated how fast the cereal got soggy. You barely got through three spoonfuls before it all turned to mush.

While Rice Krispies may not have been my favorite cereal Rice Krispies treats were a favorite sweet treat. Who can resist the chewy marshmallowy yumminess combined with the crisp cereal. There is nothing better, ever then a fresh yummy marshmallow treat.

Any regular reader of this blog should already be aware of my obsession with junk food especially sweets. Marshmallow treats are no exception here. When I was first diagnosed I was not aware that Rice Krispies treats were off limits. I figured Rice Krispies - RICE was right there in the name. It wasn't until I became hip to additives and avoiding stuff like "barley malt extract" - which seems to be in every cereal.

Sidenote - why is that in every cereal? It doesn't make any sense to me. What does "Barley Malt Extract" do that is so magical that God forbid cereal makers stop adding it to their cereals? Will the world end? Will the oceans become pits of fires and all animals walk on two legs and then....um.....more horrible stuff? Because I highly doubt one extract has that kind of power. Get it together cereal makers.

Anyway. I have tried several types of rice cereal since my diagnosis many years ago. They all seem to be way too crunchy - like disturbingly crunchy even in milk. And none seemed to make a super yummy marshmallow treat either. So just an all around fail.

I wanted to make marshmallow treats for my nephew's birthday and grabbed a box of Erewhon Rice Twice cereal on a whim. And good choice on my part. The cereal has kind a sweet taste on its on like if Honey Smacks just calmed the hell down and didn't give you diabetes immediately. This made for a superior marshmallow treat. The cereal held up under marshmallow and butter and was just crispy enough.

Verdict? Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment